The unique construction of cell shades gives the treatment its telltale look and design features. The structure is reminiscent of a bee’s honeycomb with cells that run the length of the shade like vanes. These pockets of space trap air, creating an insulating layer. All honeycomb shades share this cellular construction and the benefits it affords, though each can be uniquely customized to suit individual tastes and interior design styles.
Benefits of Cell Shades
There are many benefits of new cell shades for your home, including money-saving energy efficiency, soft aesthetics, safety features, and the latest modern amenities for interior comfort control.
- Light Control: Like all types of window treatments, a primary focus of cell shades is to control light. Cellular shades can block or filter light with fabric choices ranging from sheer to opaque. Additionally, Hunter Douglas cell shades have enhanced light blocking features, including LightLock™ and Duolite™.
- Energy Efficiency: The key to cellular shades’ heightened energy efficiency is their insulating properties. Insulation over windows keeps energy from escaping or entering unchecked, making more consistently comfortable interiors that require reduced amounts of energy consumption to maintain.
- Soft Aesthetic: The control afforded by cell shades might be precise and exact, but the fabric treatment still maintains a soft overall aesthetic. The sculpted pleats and clean profile of cell shades prevent an overly dramatic feel, but the smooth movement and graceful lines ensure a sophisticated character.
- Sound Absorption: Cellular shades help create peaceful interiors by absorbing sound and improving indoor acoustics. Hunter Douglas cellular honeycomb shades can absorb up to 70% of sound energy, making them ideal in rooms like the master suite, children’s bedrooms, and guestrooms, where quiet ambiances make for more restful sleep.
- Child-Safe Amenities: The latest safety features on cells shades are of utmost importance for households with children. Modern cellular shades are available with motorized operating systems that negate the need for hanging cords. Hunter Douglas has several child-safe, cord-free operating systems that are compatible with its cell shades.
Custom Options for Hunter Douglas Honeycomb Shades
The collection of cell shades by Hunter Douglas houses the widest selection of custom options available. Choose from high-end fabrics and textiles, the latest operating systems and innovative applications, and modern aesthetic upgrades to create one-of-a-kind shades perfectly suited to the individual tastes and lifestyle needs of your household.
- Fabrics: Fabrics and textile choices for cell shades include an expansive collection of colors, textures, opacities, and patterns. You can easily customize cellular shades with fabric choices to suit the style of individual rooms or the overall aesthetic of a home. Hunter Douglas cellular shades can also come in curated collections of exclusive fabrics like the Alustra® collection.
- Alustra® Collection of Woven Textiles for Duette®: A style-forward collection of globally sourced textiles for refined tastes. Textiles in the Alustra® collection range from soft silks to distinguished tweeds with many unique textures to choose from.
- Pleat Size: Like louver size on hardwood shutters, the pleat size on cell shades augments the overall look and feel of the window shade. Smaller pleats read more subtle and traditional, while larger pleat sizes make a more visual statement with a modern inflection. Hunter Douglas honeycomb shades come in three different pleat sizes: 3/8 inch, ¾ inch, or 1 ¼ inch pleats.
- Cell Construction: While all honeycomb shades have a cellular construction, not all cells are the same. Modern cell shades from Hunter Douglas include both single and double cell designs. There are also hybrid constructions that blend honeycomb shades with other window treatments like roller shades and Roman shades.
- Orientation: Cellular shades insulate glass panes with stylish performance, and their use is crucial for improving a home’s energy efficiency. With that in mind, engineers at Hunter Douglas created both horizontal and vertical applications for their cell shades so that the treatment could fit in a wide variety of ways throughout the home. Hunter Douglas honeycomb shades can work on standard windows, picture windows, especially broad or tall windows, and sliding and swinging interior doors, thanks to the vertical and horizontal applications available.
- Specialty Shapes: Cellular shades are easily customizable to numerous window shapes and sizes, including specialty or custom designs.
- Accompanying Accessories: Work with a window treatment expert to finish your cell shades with high-end hardware or complementary treatments. Cellular shades look polished when finished with custom hardware or topped with a custom valance or cornice.
Learn more about new cell shades for your home by contacting the knowledgeable team at At Home Design. Request a consultation to discuss the benefits of cellular shades and the customizations that can make honeycomb shades perfectly suited for your home. Located near Hockessin, Delaware, At Home Design serves the greater Hockessin area plus Wilmington, Greenville, Pike Creek, and Newark, DE, as well as Kennett Square and Landenberg, PA.
Find the right cellular Shades for your home
Duette® Honeycomb Shades
Duette® Honeycomb Shades are available in horizontal and vertical operating system options, making it simple to coordinate sliding glass doors and large windows with the rest of your room.
Applause® Honeycomb Shades
Applause® Honeycomb shades offer a streamlined selection of fabrics, colors and operating systems. Honeycombs come in 3/8″ and 3/4″ sizes, with sheer, semi-opaque and blackout styles available.
Duette® Architella® Honeycomb Shades
Duette Architella Honeycomb Shades feature Hunter Douglas’s honeycomb-within-honeycomb design, providing increased energy efficiency. Clients love the largest selection of fabrics and pleat sizes.